Guide to selling a property

What We Do

The transaction is the same as the one explained in our “guide to purchasing a property”.

However you are the Vendor in the transaction.

If you are thinking of selling a property, there are a number of important issues that need to be addressed by you straight away.

  1. Instruct your Solicitor as soon as possible. Before the Contract for Sale can be issued, your Solicitor must be in possession of the title deeds to the property. If the title deeds to the property are with a lending institution, your Solicitor will have to apply to the bank for the title documents. This process can take approximately three weeks.
  2.  You must provide a BER (Building Energy Rating) Certificate and Advisory Report to the Purchaser. A BER Certificate is an energy efficient label for your home. It is similar to the energy label on electrical appliances with a scale of A to G. You should contact a certified BER Assessor in order to prepare this Certificate.
  3.  If the property you are selling was constructed after the 1st October 1964 and has any extensions or alterations which require planning permission, your Solicitor will require a copy of the planning permission together with a Certificate prepared by an Architect or Engineer confirming that the property was built in substantial compliance with the planning permission. Similarly, if you have built an extension to your property which is below the square footage required for planning permission, a Certificate of Exemption will need to be prepared by an Architect/Engineer in respect of that development. These will be required by the Solicitor before the Contract for Sale can be issued.
  4.  You need to provide your solicitor with a receipt for the Household Charge 2012, the annual Local Property Tax and either a Certificate of Discharge or a Certificate of Exemption from the Non Principal Private Residence Charge  (NPPR) 2009-2013 (please see our article on the NPPR here for further information). You will need to apply to your local authority for this Certificate so you should deal with this as soon as possible. If you have a septic tank, you will also need to provide a Certificate of Registration for the septic tank.

Outlays when selling:

There are a number of outlays (i.e. money which we spend on your behalf) that will be incurred by you in respect of your sale;

  1. Fee to your lending institution re: release of your title deeds
  2. Fee to the Local Authority re: letter regarding roads and service
  3. Commissioner for Oath fees
  4. Land Registry fees re: registration of the discharge of your mortgage

“I would like to thank you, Elaine, for your continued, prompt and courteous response to all my queries –  in person, on the phone and in your written correspondences – thus making the sale of my property run so smoothly for me.  Keep up the great work.”

Conveyancing Client

Join our newsletter